Sugg & Co
1837 - 1969
London & Southport Lanterns & 'Supervia' Mantle.
(This is an element of 'Lighting - Street Lamps')
The London Lamp
The lamps both above and below all have raising and lowering gear which utilised a gas connection which rotated up a spiral to unlock and allow the lamp to be lowered to the ground. In the case of the centrally suspended models, the lamp could be drawn along the suspension cable to one side before being unlocked and lowered.
Station Road, South Harrow circa 1952
The Single and Double Southport Lamps
The 'Southport' Lamp, whilst following the general shape of the London Lamp achieved its performance by the use of refracting panels made by Holophane.
The 'Double Unit Southport' Lamp clearly
Development drawing of the Group 'B'
Comparison between the double (in the middle) and single unit Southport's. The section drawings also illustrate the way in which the light is refracted by the Holophane panels to provide the 'even road surface brightness and good visibility without excessive glare' claimed in the leaflet above. On the left, the diagram shows how the circulation of the incoming air cools the panels and also the relative simplicity of the overall construction by comparison with the cross section of the London Lamp at the top of this page.
Group 'B' Southport in Hyde Park about 1950
Group 'B' Southport in Buckingham Palace Road on left and Holborn, 1950
UNDER CONTINUOUS DEVELOPMENT - PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER